Natural Birthing Options
Until you take that first look into your baby’s eyes, we do everything we can to get you there smoothly. We feel strongly that each woman deserves to have her birthing goals fulfilled according to her own choices. Offering a haven of flexibility and expert support, we’re here to help make this possible for you.
The First Impressions maternity team at MCMC's Birthing Center has the expertise to facilitate your comfortable and safe childbirth experience. With our modern and skilled obstetricians, midwives and medical staff, we strive to make your experience as personal and positive possible.
Services and Features We Offer:
- Midwife-attended births 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- Unlimited visiting hours 24/7
- Prenatal and postpartum care
- Centering prenatal care
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Childbirth education classes
- 24-hour lactation support
- Weekly well-baby clinic (Tuesdays 12pm- 2pm at the Birth Center)
- 1 dedicated birth suites with tubs for water births
- 1 dedicated prenatal/postpartum exam rooms
- A healing garden and walking path for laboring mothers
- 1 area for education and wellness programs
Mid-Columbia Medical Center began offering homebirth as an option to our low risk patients in 2010. In 2013, approximately one third of our births were home births.
Home birth allows for the natural progression of labor without the disruption of car rides, hospital procedures, and policies. Giving birth at home allows women the ability to labor and deliver in a comfortable and familiar environment. Home birth encourages fathers to be very involved in the exciting experience of the birth of their child. We also provide portable tubs for waterbirths.
Who Can Have a Homebirth?
Women who are at low risk of complications, as defined by:
- No medical illnesses such as heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes
- No developing complications during pregnancy such as gestational diabetes or anemia
- Live less than 30 minutes from a hospital
- Have an adequate social support system
- Have a safe home environment
- Live a very healthy pregnancy lifestyle
Is Homebirth Safe?
We are skilled at assessing whether or not a client is a good candidate for a home birth. We monitor our homebirth clients carefully and continuously.
We make all medical supplies available to our home birth mothers including oxygen, medications, and IV fluids to be used if necessary. We have a medical unit standing by where we can transfer our patients if necessary and continue to care for them in any kind of complication, even in a true emergency.