New Materials at Planetree Health Resource Center
This is a sample of the new materials available for checkout at Planetree Health
Resource Center. You can e-mail email@example.com
or call 296-8444 to request materials. If you're an MCMC employee, items can be checked out and sent to you
through interoffice mail.
- Acupressure for Emotional Healing: A Self-Care Guide for Trauma, Stress & Common Emotional Imbalances
By Michael Reed Gach and Beth Ann Henning
- Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families, 3rd Ed
By Francis Mondimore
- Chained to the Desk: A Guidebook for Workaholics Their Partners and Children, and the Clinicians Who Treat Them, 3rd Ed
By Byron Robinson
- Complementary & Alternative Therapies for Nursing Practice, 4th Ed
By Karen Fontaine
- DSM-5 Made Easy: The Clinician's Guide to Diagnosis
By James Morrison
- Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation : Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation, 3rd Ed
By Walter Frontera, Julie Silver and Thomas Rizzo
- Health Insurance Today: A Practical Approach, 4th Ed
By Janet Beik
- How to Cope Better When Someone You Love Has Cancer, 2nd Ed
By William Penzer
- Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
By Michael Okun
- The Patient Survival Guide: 8 Simple Solutions to Prevent Hospital -and Healthcare- Associated Infections
By Maryanne McGuckin
This Month's Highlight:
The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat & Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
By Nina Teicholz
In The Big Fat Surprise, investigative journalist Nina Teicholz reveals the unthinkable: that everything we thought we knew about dietary fat is wrong. She documents how the low-fat nutrition advice of the past sixty years has amounted to a vast uncontrolled experiment on the entire population, with disastrous consequences for our health.
For decades, we have been told that the best possible diet involves cutting back on fat, especially saturated fat, and that if we are not getting healthier or thinner it must be because we are not trying hard enough. But what if the low-fat diet is itself the problem? What if the very foods we've been denying ourselves-the creamy cheeses, the sizzling steaks-are themselves the key to reversing the epidemics of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease?
In this captivating, vibrant, and convincing narrative, based on a nine-year-long investigation, Teicholz shows how the misinformation about saturated fats took hold in the scientific community and the public imagination, and how recent findings have overturned these beliefs. She explains why the Mediterranean Diet is not the healthiest, and how we might be replacing trans fats with something even worse. This startling history demonstrates how nutrition science has gotten it so wrong: how overzealous researchers, through a combination of ego, bias, and premature institutional consensus, have allowed dangerous misrepresentations to become dietary dogma.
With eye-opening scientific rigor, The Big Fat Surprise upends the conventional wisdom about all fats with the groundbreaking claim that more, not less, dietary fat-including saturated fat-is what leads to better health and wellness. Science shows that we have been needlessly avoiding meat, cheese, whole milk, and eggs for decades and that we can now, guilt-free, welcome these delicious foods back into our lives.
- A New York Times bestseller
- Named one of The Economist's Books of the Year 2014
- Named one of The Wall Street Journal's Top Ten Best Nonfiction Books of 2014
- Kirkus Reviews Best Nonfiction Books of 2014
- Forbes's Most Memorable Healthcare Book of 2014
- Named a Best Food Book of 2014 by Mother Jones
- Named one of Library Journal's Best Books of 2014
*Don't have a card with us?...come in and fill out our library card application and we will make a PHRC library card for you.
**Looking for something specific?...Search our
on-line library catalog. Planetree Health Resource Center is now linked
to more than 70 libraries in eastern Oregon through the
Sage Library System. If we don't have what you are looking for, there's
a good chance we have access to it!
-Editorial Review Note: This is a sample of the new materials available for
checkout at Planetree Health Resource Center. To request a hold for any of our materials,
please call 296-8444.